Monday, January 31, 2005

realisation

.

I think about the stalks of broccoli
Which are always there
Which we always resent for adding 37p
To the cost of groceries
And I wonder if one day you will realise
That you want them
That they taste kind of good
And that they are there,
So you might as well

I wonder if you are the type
Who will ignore them for weeks
And then one leftovers day
When the fridge is a world of soggy carrots
And spinach that has dampened round the edges
Will realise that an opportunity
Is an opportunity
And you have no reason to claim hunger
(Or loneliness).

I wonder if you are the type who will accept metaphors
Or who will call
And I realise you are not
You are the type who would scrape leftovers into the bin
And tip flat beer
Down the sink

Me, I reheat cold rice
And accept all the food poisoning the kitchen has to offer
Consume the half smoked butts
Which foul the ashtrays.


At this time of the morning
What else is there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home